“We found pieces of bones in finger size”


The family of Maliq Kryeziu was forced to leave the house when Serbian military forces came to attack the village with over thirty tanks. Striving to their families and with them to gather in the village Kralan, with at least ten thousand displaced people from Kijeva, Klina and Drenica. There they split some grown men who were bleeding from tortures. 

For two days they remained starving, outside and cold nights. Although Serbs have taken their money and golden jewelries as a retaliation to release them for Albania, but the promise was not fulfilled.  

They selected around eight men, among whom Mentor, the 18 years old son of Maliq, who were not allowed to go to Albania but they have directed to the massacre of Krelan, as is known nowadays.     

After the war, the Kryeziu family returned from Albania to find not only the house burnt by Serbs. While researching for the son, they found also carbonised human remains in Kralan.        

Maliq Kryeziu: Narration in first person 

My name is Maliq Kryeziu, of parent Lah and Tahire Kryeziu. I am born on November 25, 1954 in the village Bubavec. I lived in a big family because my father has had other four brothers. I was the first child on that big family and the only son of my parents. In big family we have lived until 1976 and then we split with other uncles. My mother died when I was 7. Father got married again. I have only one sister from my mother. I always missed my mother. The wife of my uncle, Halime, raised me and I always called her auntie. 

I got married in 1975, in that time through middleman and after my marriage five daughters have born, one of the daughters died, and three sons, one of them Mentor who was taken. Now I have two sons and four daughters. In 1976 we have moved to here. In 1975 I completed my secondary school in Kijeva and then enrolled to the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, branch of geography and in 1984 I got the job. Before I started there, here it was a branch of orchards. I worked there for two years and then I was transferred to a school as teacher for geography, since I am qualified as professor of geography and I always was focused in teaching the pupils.   

In 1981 there were organized students’ demonstrations in Pristina where was plead to recognize the Republic of Kosova. We as students, have been mistreated by Serbian forces. Police used hot water against us, batons but even rubber bullets; we have experienced very tough moments.  

Even during the time, I was working in Kijevë as a geography teacher, it happened often I had been mistreated by Serbian police officers, since police station was only 50 meters away of the school. There before used to live Serbs also. Some were working in our school and later they were dressed in uniforms and became police. It happened often when they searched us while we were going to school and requested daily plan that we prepared to teach our pupils. For me, it happened to get stopped by police on the street by one Sllagjan Ristiq from Kijeva. Even other police have stopped us and requested the curriculum. The police from Kijeva knew that I was a geography teacher and maybe he was interested to know what I was preparing for teaching session.   

We as Albanians and the schools have experienced very tough moments. Once we were in the meeting of teachers’ council, Serbian police came and took us out of the meeting. They have taken teacher Sheremet Morina, now deceased. When Sheremet was returned, had bruises all over because of the beating. It was very tough moment for me because I thought that we are going to have same fate even though we did nothing wrong. No one knew why they have taken Sheremet and beaten him like that. 

Even later, it was May 20, we were in protest in Kijeva together with gymnasium students. It would have been 1981 ‘or 82’ – 83. A number of teachers were prosecuted and imprisoned. They were our professors. Among prisoners was also one doctor. In that protest, Serbian police took pictures of protesters and then were inviting people one by one.  

Once they came at our home, this Sllagjan who used to work with us in school, together with his colleague, with bullet proof vest, protection tools and automatics on hands. Then we were afraid of them. My wife went out at the door and I was at second floor. They asked for Arben, my oldest son. Arben was not even a student at that time but according to them he caused a problem in Prishtina. Fortunately, they did not find Arben at home. I didn’t dare to confront them because I thought that they are going to use the chance and pick me.  

In 1989, President Rugova has established a parallel system of education. So, we did not recognize Serbia’s curriculum anymore because we started to work with our Albanian curriculum. In eighth grade we taught the geography of Yugoslavia. From the moment when President called for boycott of Serbia system, we started to work with the curriculum of the Republic of Kosova, as much as we could work on our own.  I have asked from the secretary of Kijeva school – there were lost some documents in Kijeva, but aren’t burnt, just to find one of my recorded session of 1989 where I wrote not anymore “geography of Yugoslavia” but of “Republic of Kosova.” A witness for this I have the teacher Hasan Toplana, then he was student of high school in Gjakova, who at that time was as intern for two weeks. I have had instructed him: “from now on you search and use literature only for Republic of Kosova!” because we were learning for a country that we did not love, and we were aiming Republic of Kosova. I have asked the secretary for several times to find me such recorded session, to take picture of it and keep as evidence that I have contributed in that direction. 

Then in 1990 the protests began. I remember, on January 30, 1990, I was also present in Malisheva when a son of my cousin Ali Din Kryeziu was killed, now he is announced martyr, then Qerim Haxhi Kryeziu and Murat Rexhep Kryeziu were wounded. I remember that event clearly; one armoury vehicle left to Rahovec whereas a jeep in direction of Baja. I was on the bus station’s side. They fired and Ali was there and was caught by bullets from armoury vehicle. Within a short time, he passed away in Malisheva. Qerim is still alive whereas Uncle Murat is later killed by Serbian forces.    

I survived without getting any bullet, even though, as we heard, there were real bullets and not only rubber bullets. I was lucky and survived. Then we were engaged in Democratic League of Kosova all the time and we were giving our efforts for national cause.  

To tell you the truth, I didn’t expect the war because we have worked with Serbs in the same school until 1989, moreover we were teaching English together, combined the classes. In ’89 we split up. The school had two entrances, in one side Albanians were entering and in the other one Serbs. It was a Serbian teacher Radosh Spasiq who was leading Serbs whereas our director was Shaban Thaçi.      

Should be thanked a then director, Gani Zogaj, from village Llozicë. I was warden with one of my cousins, Manush Kryeziu, now deceased. The children called us to run because a Serbian technician, Istreta Gjukiq, attempted to kill a pupil. He pulled out the gun and running after the pupil in the class. Manush and I run – unfortunately we could not take a picture to use as evidence and show what kind a human he was – caught him a stopped. This Istreta every time when children went home, he used to go to director Gani, because then we were still together, complaining that Albanian pupils wrote on the blackboard “Kosova Republic”. One day the director told to him “You are doing this and after claiming that Albanian pupils are doing. You are doing these shits” so, there are many unsatisfactory moments for us Albanians. Then I was thinking that God might see that this is enough and to us Albanians to give a better way, but today we are still me these problems.  

Since 1981 the organized people used to write on walls, whether the mosque, or other places “Republic of Kosovo”. Since then there were people from our village who were political prisoners, like Bilal Kryeziu, Mehmet Kryeziu, Isen Kryeziu… Then Shefqet Kryeziu, Fetah Kryeziu and others where then were organized different meeting also; where requested to enlighten those murders. Those meeting were organized by Communist League. Many people were hurt spiritually and where imprisoned and mistreated. It was known that Serbs did not choose the right way, but they were aiming that with huge mistreatment to fear the people to the marrow.  

In the village, in ’97 it was said that Kosovo Liberation Army was established, but in that year, I was in Germany. I came back home between two offensives in 1998. I arrived in Skopje and after with a driver I continued to here. Then a check point was in Komaran but we survived, we came here and in Lozica at the pine tree it was another check point but we did not go that way and went to another road fearing what will happen with us. I already had informed the family and it was Mentor who came to pick me up with tractor. It was night and very dangerously that time. We left from Lozica not through the road but through villages all around, Vermice and Drenoc to come to our village. A vehicle was driving behind us and was turning the lights on and off, sometimes we didn’t dare to turn the lights on, but we continued in dark. I still remember Mentor’s condition, he was 18 then, in the fourth year of secondary school. Fortunately, we arrived alive at home.  

While serving in the army during 1981-82 I served as mine-thrower. When I came, Avdyl Kryeziu, here he was kind of commander. The Kosovo Liberation Army’s headquarter was established. I have said: “If you are in need for this kind of genre, I am here.” It was a break between two offensives; I don’t know who interfered OSCE or someone else. Then the KLA headquarter was established in our village also whereas Serbs were in Kijeva. Mentor have told me that it was Nuhi Kryeziu, a professor of engineering, who collected some young boys for exercises and among them Mentor was also. However, he was not a military and often he did not know how to protect himself, but he helped as much as he could. I remember when they said that he met in the entrances to the mountain a person who has co-worked for the Serbian forces and reported in headquarter. He didn’t dare to go that way anymore.  

During the first offensive, the family was here, in 1998. Then it was a withdrawal and on March 24, 1999 NATO attacked. From the fields that were cultivated by state, we have seen the planes clearly. The first attacked over Serbian forces on 24 of March were in our zone. 

We stayed at home for other four days. So, on 28 we had no other solution except leaving the village. Around thirty Serbian tanks arrived, there were the restaurant is – then was belonging to Latif, and today belongs to the son of his brother – there they lined on the way to Kijeva and attacking with tanks. Then we have taken our families and left to Drenoc. From there we continued to Turjakë. We had some rest at the Turjaka’s school. The bombings started not only from our village but also from the side of Ceralluka, from both sides. Then the village was emptied on 28 March 1999. I think we stayed there for couple of days but when the bombings started, we have taken our families. In Turjaka only a part of our village was, not all, we took the families and left to Llapqeva, where my acquaintances (in-laws) are. They own a three floors tower, because it is a historical monument, under state protection. We were stabilized there for couple of days. I had the tractor, food and clothing. They started to attack again, Serbian police and army came from Panorc and attacked in direction of Llapqeva. 

We were in the family of my in-laws, when they attacked with a grenade and hit the corner of the house. The walls of the tower are around one and half meter wide but the attacked was very strong so the corner of the wall, that is stronger, was destroyed. That day one person was wounded during these shootings. I have taken my sons and two nephews and went to the forest. They were attacking the village and we were around two km away but even there where we were pieces of stones were coming, the land was shaking. Meanwhile the Serbian forced entered in Llapqeva and caught our families. They have said: “Go to Albania, we don’t want to see you here.” The families left for Albania. Whilst I was in Llapqeva, one of the Serbian leaders gave a piece of letter to an inhabitant from Llapqeva and told to show that letter to anyone who stops, and no one will interrupt, and so he went to Albania.  

When my wife with my in-laws arrived down there in Mrasor, at the asphalt –as she told and also my father-in-law while he was alive – they met with the displaced from Klina, since Klina escaped from Llapqeva organized all together. Some of the displaced from Klina proposed to return to Kralan that until now was burnt twice by Serbian forces. Apparently that someone from soldiers have told that they may return to Kralan and not to go to Albania because the army will protect them and so they were returned. My wife’s brother who was in uniform, is called Fehmi Hasanaj, came to the forest and found me. He told me that the families are safe and that they are in Kralan. We had just to cross the river Drin to go to Kralan. I said: “Can you help us because you know this area?” 

I left with him but nephews and sons remained in the forest. When we approached a railway, a small dog barked at us. I thought we are done now because they will hear the noise and then will shoot on us. Luckily, we managed to cross the Drin, found my family and after two or three hours my sons came, Mentor, Arton and two nephews. They got the information and found us.              

We slept for a night in Kralan on fodder, burnt houses, but Kralan’s residents I don’t know if they were around two or three because they escaped. In Mrasor arrived four tanks, which in airway with Kralan are around 1000 meters. They have turned the muzzles in our direction. As soon as we saw like that, all said let’s go to Albanian because we have no other solution. Now I don’t exactly remember the name of that soldier, in black uniform, military police then were called, who said to me: “No, you cannot go to Albania!” I said: “I went through the people, son.” He replied: “Do you know what kind of responsibility you are taking?” At least there were ten thousand people, from Drenica, Klina and other around villages who came to Kralan. I replied: “here are ten thousand people, don’t tease them, let them find a solution.” “No, it can’t” he said, and we returned.  

The next day tanks came down towards us. When they came, our soldier went in front of them, you can stop the tank with an automatic? Our soldiers had no other solution except to go in front and be crushed by tanks and all to be killed or to withdraw within the population. People have seen them crying: “Poor us, what did we do.” They run to forests and we were looking the way out.  

A group of Serbs where positioned in Variak with tanks and observing the area with binoculars. Wherever we intended to go, they were shooting before us with grenades.  When grenade felt in front of us, people use to say: “Don’t go that way because you are done.” We remained going around the school of Kralan, from eight in the morning until in the evening. At the darkening, Enver Hoti, a professor of defence in Klina, who was leading the convoy, said: “We surrender, someone pull out white kerchiefs!” the families pulled whatever they had. He said: “I am first, you come after me!”     

We left for Albania. I was with my family, sons and daughters even though I have told to my sons “run!” Once Mentor decided and said “It would be better to run then caught us here, they will not us leave alive.” However, he didn’t like to leave alone. Arton was little younger. 

We walked together, when we were coming of the path in Kralan, one of them picked from the arm, I don’t know if he was soldier or police and split me from the convoy. I was wearing a jacket, recently bought in Germany, he said: “Take the wallet out! He took all the money I had. We were ready for travelling and my wife had some money with her. I had also another small radio I used to hear news. He took and broke it down. He did not touch the documents, left it there and told: “Go!” when the police stopped me, my wife and children stopped also but I waved them to go, not to stop with me because I already understood that I am done there.  

I catch the family again but when we arrived at the place where the crime happened, they have opened three alleys. In the first one I was ordered to go. I said “Five minutes ago one of yours stopped me; I am done.” He punched me in the face. There I saw bunches of clothes and in Serbian he said to me “Undress!” I took off my upper part and left my clothes there. Luckily with that beat I was done with them, didn’t happen anymore.  

One of my in-laws was there close, young boy of Sali Jahë Llapqeva, he was totally in blood because they have beaten him on face. While we were there, a tank drove in our direction to crush on us, the ones that were in two lines. Someone from officers shout on him “Hey, where are you going? Go back!” He went back and we were safe from the tank but all the time scaring when they are going to fire us rapidly. 

After two hours they called Enver because he was leading the convoy and said: “Tell ten people that you have five minutes to dress your clothes, don’t search for yours!” I knew where I left my clothes, dressed and came back there but we were starving, tired, freezing, and dying. 

In the other alley Mentor was stopped. I saw him on the next day in the morning, approached him slowly and said “Mentor, come close to me.” He came. He was wearing a red shirt, different from other clothes. As if I knew, I said: “Mentor, see who has your clothes.” We found and he put them on. Meantime Enver told us: “They are asking for money to let us go!’ they got a kerchief and collected huge amount of money and we gave to them.  

We were waiting and waiting and just before the evening Enver said that two truck are coming to take us to Albania. But didn’t come two, only one came and said: “Once let the old people go and we will come later for younger once.” They loaded the truck with people and took to Albania. We were left waiting. Sometime in the evening they let us start a fire to heat us upbecause we were freezing. We heat up as much as we could.  

The next day we were still waiting if something is moving and they said to Enver: “We cannot let you go because Gjakova’s garrison commander should come, commander Govriq.” We were still waiting. Around 9 that commander Govriq came with military uniform of former Yugoslavia. A short man with ranks in the uniform and he started to swear in America, Thaçi and Rugova, all of them: “They brought us here, we shouldn’t come to the war.”  

Whilst he was talking a group of 7 or 10 soldiers came and started to split us: “you, you, and you!” as soon as I saw that I knew that things are going bad. I said to Mentor: “Keep your head down and don’t look at them!” because as soon as you looked at them, they split you. Mentor put his head down, I was close to him. They have taken around 77 or 78 and said: “Other to go to Albania!” when we stood up, Mentor caught me from the arm. One of them noticed that the son held me from the arm, and he caught Mentor in the other arm. He became pale, no blood remained in his face. Another one put the automatic on my stomach. I was the last one in the convoy to Albania, Mentor the last one for the other way, which was later confirmed that it was one-way street. I will never forget his look. I couldn’t do anything else except to go with them, to join that road also.        

This is my last moment I have seen Mentor. Never ever. Except some words we have heard that they are somewhere, have taken them to work. I could never see him anymore, no trace of him I could find.  

Then we continued to Albania. For a week I slept in Albania military base waiting for them. People were coming “Did you hear anything about Kralani case?” someone said they have been killed and someone released.   

Briefly, there has been committed a terrible crime, a macabre murder. Very often KTV before the evening news used to present all the massacres committed in Kosova but why Kralan’s I have never seen? It was mentioned e.g. Pastasel, Reçak, Izbica and all other but I did not see ever at least writing “Massacre of Kralan.” In Kralan have been killed over 80 people in barbarian way and as long as I remember Louise Arbour was in Hague that time. When he visited Kralan, there were some equipment containing fluids for burning bodies. Since we came back from Albania, we have noticed that their bodies are burnt. We found pieces of bones in finger’s size.   

Even Arton for several times has been in danger. The family went to Albania, as my wife told several times Serbs have lined Arton to be killed. Some of the girls from my in-laws covered him with their long hairs and thus he survived. However, during our travel they were searched again and split male from them. Once I was told by my wife that they laid him down on the asphalt but some women from my in-laws defended him and especially some ladies from Gashi family. The Gashi’s ladies have thrown gold and whatever they had: “Don’t!” I have a married daughter in Likovcë. She tells that my wife bit a Serb on his hand when he caught Arton.  

I have waited for a week for any news for Mentor. After one week I started to search for my family in Albania. After ten days I found them in Shkodra, at Sport’s Palace. Then, we have stayed there. An Albanian family offered us its own apartment and there we lived for three months. My oldest daughter-in-law was with us and I had to take her to Germany, because her husband was there since ’91st. I left my family there, my wife, Artor and my daughters.    

Then they had arrived in Kosova with a van. When they returned, they saw the house was completely down burnt and they had no idea where to go. A house across ours, first cousins, had lasted. Uncle’s son told: “come in until you find a solution!” Whilst they were still there, I came back and I have seen my house down to the ground. I didn’t know what happened with my family. Then, here it was an open whole where Serbs stayed there. I have had a corn cage, as the old ones. They went in there, slept, have taken mattresses and whatever they found. The house was down to the ground. When I saw the situation like that, I was terrified. Maybe I am mistaken but very often I don’t call Serbs as human beings because the people who surrender you should not destroy to that level. Our people were unarmed. The military had had armoury but it was not that strong to defend from Serbian forces.  

However, I found my family at my uncle’s son. The life started again. Then, the Swiss Caritas together with the one from Luxemburg were helping to our village. I have asked for a tent and lived in it there where those fruit trees are. I spent a winter there together with my family in very terrible conditions, inhuman.       

We had some hope that something might happen. We’ve got different information that they are alive. Mostly we have communicated with people from Klina because they have taken many people from Klina in that group of disappeared. A Serb from Kijeva, Nikolla Stoshiq, based on my information, he was dishonest together with his son, Zoran Stoshiq, in uniforms. I have known him, maybe also Nikolla was there, but we didn’t dare to communicate with them. Then, Shaban Elezi from Gjurgegjevik I Madh, who we met in Shkodra, tells that his two sons and nephew have been taken in Kralan by two Serbs, brothers Zoran and Mikjo Juksimoviq, their neighbours. One of them, when they unloaded the old men from the truck, has said to Shaban: “Do you want to go back to your sons and nephew in Kralan?” Shaban replied “No” because his wife and daughters-in law were with him. If he would have returned, he wouldn’t be here today. They wanted to take him since they knew him, but he could not split as the plan was to load in the truck and send to Albania. 

My worry is that with the government and internationals here do not intervene and to come out with facts. Here didn’t happen something that was secret, somebody knew these people. At least to give the deserved punishment even though the blood of my son will not be paid even they are going to give me millions now. Then, suffers that my wife and I had, no one can pay neither.             

Mentor has been 18, in the fourth year of secondary schools. In that year because of safety issues, the secondary school ended their program earlier, in April. He was distinguished even educated and behavioural, respect and love towards his parents. For a period of time he was the oldest one in the family because my oldest son was in Germany and he led the family here.  He was good student. I never had any case when someone pointed on him saying: “Mentor insulted us.” He was very much connected with my oldest daughter, the one who now is married in Likovc. The daughter is one year older than him but in school they were with same generation. I have taught my daughter and Mentor in Kijeva. In the family mostly he was associated with Arton, because Arton was going behind him always. For me he was a special boy, very lovely, wise, he never made upset anyone. He was tall, not too big.  Not because he was mine, it was difficult to find a guy with such behaviours.  

Even the uncle’s sons Afrim and Tahir … All three of them have been and remain to be the best guys in our neighbourhood. Even Afrim and Tahir have been special, but perhaps their particularity and their close relationship in this world and the other one has allied them together. God’s willing to pay the blood of these people. May God revive the Albanian people, let the Government, too, and to work for the benefit of our country. I have only one worry, and I am very sorry that even we aren’t working fairly for ourselves either. 

Mentor has completed high school and probably those notes are somewhere … I see that Malisheva can solve this issue, but they never sat even though they know that Mentor was a fourth-grade student. At least why not to issue a diploma to the one who has finished high school … just to have it. Legally, the lessons they have completed in April. On April 4, Mentor was taken. He himself couldn’t get the diploma. 

I have little hope that Mentor will be found alive and I have little hope of finding something from his body. If I find something from his remaining and convince myself that it is really part of his body, I would be better, and I would have it easier. 

I do not remember the name of a person in the Kralan, whose yard these people were killed. He says he has been in the nearby mountain and has seen all the bad things that occurred during the night. There split into groups and in all those places there were signs of blood, watches, and clothes in a room where one group was killed. Surely Mentor was not in that group, otherwise I would have known. 

We have lost hope since Louise Arbor has stated that the case of Kralan is a special case because they have been killed and burned with a kind of fluid that helps burn the body of humans. However, if the Serbs would honestly declare that Mentor and all others were burned, still there would be some relief. But bigger relief would be if we would find something that really belongs to Mentor. 

We have collaborated with family members who have missing persons. For some of Klina, it is said that they have found the remains in Çabrat of Gjakova, for which I doubt a lot. Hysen Krasniqi, a guy from Carralluka who escaped the massacre at Kralan, probably age of Mentor, had told us how that happened. He was injured in six places, but he had fate. It went out dragging, found by KLA, they have taken him, have treated him and today he is still alive, lives in Klina. He had started to tell the story but somehow it seemed that somebody drew attention, because there were many just married people, had left young women, maybe one child or two, and thus just to slow it little bit. I suspect that someone has shut his mouth to not give information, and not from the foreigners, but from our people for reasons that they may call justifiable, but for me it would not be reasonable even if my son would have been married. 

This boy did not know Mentor, but in the general aspect he started giving some information. I have talked to that boy and when he disclosed his body, I saw that he was really wounded. 

We were then oriented to the International Red Cross in Prishtina, we started talking about those issues. Then were established Associations for the Missing Persons. Here we have had the “Kujtesa” Association, led by Hysen Kryeziu. Several times we had meetings with the Government organized by Prenk Gjetaj, then we had meetings organized by Bajram Qerkini. Representatives of both KFOR and EULEX and the European level representative participated there, but we have not received any accurate information. It was not the essence of the matter. Even UNMIK and FOR have shown little interest for this group of people. 

We have been more oriented in the group of Dushi from Klina, because I was in touch with Sefer Manaj. His son had a leadership post in Prishtina. Sefer had grandsons, sons, daughters, and friends who were disappeared, and we have made our efforts through them. 

Earlier, they said that Kolë Soshiqi is saying, “The ones from Kralan are alive, and do not hurry, we slowly are going to find them, find out …” It lasted for seven-eight years. Once we heard about a nephew of Sefer Manaj who was a doctor, Ylli. I met Sefer in Klina. I said, “Sefer, we heard about Yll.” He said, “It’s done, tomorrow is verified, he is alive.” I was happy, I thought at least if someone comes alive, perhaps Mentor could be also. But it did not look like that. 

Words were coming from many people. There were cases when people have come to me because they got misinformation like: “Go to Maliq, because he received a letter from his son.”  Different kind but nothing real we have found. We have made another effort also. Atifete Bytyqi in Klina is interested about the missing persons and had talk with a lawyer, it seems to Brussels. We thought something will happen. We brought us some forms to complete, also for financial compensation. The form was well prepared, and we thought something good will be done, but nothing was done. 

I was also with a team in Raska, Serbia. It was said that there is a mass grave. We talked to a representative, I think it was KFOR, I do not remember, but they were foreigners. They told us, “We will make our efforts and find them.” In the end it was zero. 

Mentor was also involved with electrical appliances, televisions. Even for tractor, he used to say, “Tractor is mine.” When we went to Llapqeva, they had burned our tractor. It was scrappy when we got it, we load to a trailer of another one’s tractor, we brought it all in small parts and we managed to fix.  

This Mentor’s picture is from one of his school friends. We have saved this picture, something else we did not have, because everything has been burned, only the walls have remained. 

I was also at Bekim Blakaj, of the International Humanitarian Fund, who is in contact with Natasa Kandic. He proposed me to go to Belgrade. But the family did not leave me. There was a meeting with Serbian and world journalists. I asked Bekim whether there was any chance for me to answer somehow from here. He enabled me, we connected to the screen, even with direct communication with them. I noticed that not only Natasa Kandić, but also her associate had all the data of the case we are talking about. I don’t know how they had, but they had all the data. Even the names of the people who committed these crimes, they had the notes. 

As far as the government is concerned, is not only because we are family members of the missing persons, but poor us what kind of government we have. For the missing, neither the previous governments, nor this today have done something serious. Immediately after the war, the international organizations have helped us, to my wife they gave a sewing machine, me a planting machine for corn. Today, 20 years after the war and we see that the missing persons are the most neglected part of the government. 

Now the law on salaries: do the blood of the missing persons have any value? Are the martyrs, or the disabled? At least the families to be rehabilitated. In our municipality there are probably over 70 missing persons, why not organizing an excursion for mothers of children or their parents, a walk out, a helping hand, why shouldn’t an interest be shown? If our government cannot influence Belgrade, why does not it offer something to the families of the missing? The Belgrade government is one of the cruelest governments that the history of mankind recognizes because it hides the remains of people who have been killed, so I do not believe it can do anything in the human, moral, economic or whatever aspect. 

After the formation of the state of Kosovo I thought that there would be another treatment for this people, but I see that people are only interested in their own chair, personal issues, enrichment and nothing else. I would ask the government to be more alert, to take seriously the work of the missing persons, and this to be solved once and forever. Not to be a burden, not worried. Today it would be good to have at least Mentor’s grave somewhere. Only if I ever go to the Kralan to remember the events, otherwise I do not see any hope that in the future these worries will be removed from the people. I plea anyone who knows something about Kralan’s case, to help them no matter what the situation is: even if they are killed and burned. 

(This story is part of “Living with memories of the missing: Memory book with stories of family members of the missing from the last war in Kosovo”, implemented by forumZFD program in Kosovo and Integra, in cooperation with Missing Persons Resource Centre, with the support of Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), Rockefeller Brothers and Swiss Embassy in Kosovo)